Tuesday, March 19, 2013

hades


dear friends.
on Jan 1 I started triple drug therapy for hepC--  latest antiviral (telaprevir), ribavirin and  and interferon.  They had treated
some 50 liver transplant patients this way at Mayo.  Interferon and hep C both interact in complicated ways with the immune system.

On around the evening of Jan 25 I developed a shaking chill fever. Meg called an ambulance and toke me to UNM hospital where I was put in
the medical ICU.  Some three days later, Meg was unhappy with my care at UNM.  Just as I was slipping into a coma, she got me
on a med-vac flight to Jacksonville, at the last possible moment that I could still be transported.

At Mayo, Jacksonville a team of some 6 doctors and nurses worked on me for 3 hours to stabilize me and then struggled to keep
my blood pressure up over the next 2 weeks.

I hallucinated throughout this period, and for at least a week on and off after I came out of the coma.

I awoke from the coma incredibly debilitated.   Just standing with help was virtually impossible.  My toes on
both feet were frost bitten (from the low blood pressure).   I was deaf in my left ear (seems to be resolving).

Since then, I have been fighting , fighting to come back. A little bit each day.  making steady progress on my recovery no

Everyone tells me how very very sick I was, and how close I came. 


-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment