Friday, December 16, 2011

cheating death


Colbert has this very funny segment “cheating death” in which he satirizes health issues in the news.  The serious side of cheating death is obviously a central topic in all cultures.  

After leaving (really leaving) Pittsburgh I had a long list of things I wanted to do.  One of them was to go to MOMA on 
one of my trips to visit NYC area relatives.  

I spotted this painting By Ensor "Masks confronting death" (1888) from across a long gallery and immediately interpreted it as a celebration of temporary triumph over (cheating of) death.  I was in the process of rebuilding my personal illusion of immortality, without which it is impossible to function in the everyday world.  One reconstructs a personal mask with which to confront death and your own mortality.   I got a small group of friends together for the following halloween to dress up as if we were confronting death in this mocking, confident way.  I have a picture in my office of this group -- Meg and I and Peter and Drew.  Meg looks lovely dressed as an angel.  I of course was dressed as death.


No comments:

Post a Comment