Sunday, December 25, 2011

don't ask, don't look

Last wednesday after my daily sponge wash of the incision, a portion flopped open under the stables.  They threatened me with what I call the "mechanical maggot" -- a device known as a wound-vac.  But the surgeon came and looked and said it wasn't that bad, that it would do fine with just "wet to dry" bandage changes as long as it did not "tunnel".   I really do not like that word in this context!  In the hospital they did twice daily wet-to-dry bandage changes.  The slice is about three inches along the incision.  The rest of the incision is OK, and most of the staples have come out.  At home Meg has been doing the bandage changes, taking care of me like I am some civil war veteran, sliced open by a confederate sword.  I was told (encouraged) to shower between bandage changes.  Here I have some psychic advantage in being able to remove my glasses and only get a fuzzy, near-sighted view.  Even so, one look was too much, even compared to the pictures I posted before.  My strategy going forward is to not only remove the glasses,  but also not to look down.

1 comment:

  1. "Mechanical maggot"? I think I'd prefer the organic kind myself, so long as the necrophilic critter were raised properly, in sanitary conditions and with the right values. And does a "mechanical maggot" metamorphose into a "mechanical housefly"? That would make a nice Christmas present for some good little boy. Michael, could it be that it's no hospital where they're keeping, but Santa's workshop?

    ReplyDelete