Tuesday, December 13, 2011

clot

Investigation into the cause of the fever leads to clot in 1 of 3 main veins draining the liver; technically, hepatic vein thrombosis.  We just learned of this from the surgeon and are awaiting the hepatologist.  There are two treatment options: one, do nothing; and two treat with (blood thinner) cumadin.  This complication is (surprise, surprise, surprise!) rare.  There are no stats on outcomes in either of these scenarios. Shall we take a poll?

The surgeon tried to reassure me that the situation was not as bleak as it sounded, that the liver was functioning well and there is no reason to fear losing the graft.  There fear is of other complications that Meg and I are obsessing over and the (perceived) risk in the treatments.   Although I am quite familiar with (and frequently use) Bayesian reasoning, in my heart of hearts, I have always been a frequentist.

Not to mention a pessimist.  My mood is drifting towards the poem by Lawrence Ferlinghetti-- http://www.poetseers.org/poetry/the_world_is_beautiful/.

No comments:

Post a Comment