Monday, December 5, 2011

Methylprednisolone Visuals

It is good to know to expect psychotropic-like effects with a gram I.V. of Solu-Medrol (``vitamin P", as they called it back in the day in Pittsburgh).   They don't tell you this.  They sneak it into your IV while you are under in the OR and then when you get to the ICU they talk about some patients getting ICU psychosis.  Hey man, you mixed the kool-aid!   So this time I new what to look for.

I got alternating bright green and red fluorescent lettering on the white wall across from my bed in some strange alphabet that I could not read.   Mostly I got images of movement-- shifting sands or swirling worms or snakes.  I knew what I would find in the snakes, and sure enough the skulls were there underneath.  But it wasn't all scary stuff.  I fell asleep listening to Beethoven's ninth, and on the last vocal note in the fourth movement I awoke to a startling bright white field of vision that remained with or without my eyes closed.  Returning to the main theme of the 4th movement, I saw a crowd of people walking away from me.  (I confess this is probably a memory of the funeral scene of the movie Immortal Beloved, but this does not detract from the realism of the vision.)   Another pleasant moment was of being surrounded by women's breasts, sort of like a very crowded version of the cover of Electric Lady Land.   (One pair which were distinctly Meg.)  A clear sign something healthy was going on inside my new liver.

No comments:

Post a Comment